In this discussion you will find (weekly) updates about what we are doing on the boat and where we are at with the boat. Buying this boat I knew it was going to be a big project but of course you can never estimate exactly how much time it will all cost. So during this maintenance you discover other projects and so on. This is one of the reasons why it is hard to make a clear estimate of when it will be done for casting away. So to make this more clear and insightful to you, we started this discussion!
This summer we hauled out the boat, repainted the bottom and cleared the deck out. After that we were able to go out on the fjord and have some shakedown sailing! This is a good test for the equipment and rigging to see what's going to hold up for the big trip. We've discovered a few issues that needed to be addressed and fixed.
For starters we ended up cracking the main boom in 25 knots of wind. This is not too bad because we can laminate a new one that will be stronger and lighter within a couple weeks, we just need to buy some fur planking. Of course building this is going to be a big project. Also we are missing some essentials like a topsail and an updated radar system. Some smaller things that needed to be handled were fixing the dinghy, whipping all the new ropes and replacing some of the rotten wood on the boat. This is the stuff we've been working on for the last three months. The crew differentiates and naturally everybody has their own expertise, so slowly we are getting there together. We still need to get to some of these projects or buy some new materials, so that is what we will be doing for the time being.